As the Member of Parliament for North Durham, it is important that I and my office can keep in touch with constituents about my work, take up casework on their behalf and ask for views on local issues.
This page explains how I collect and use personal data as your MP, the legal basis for doing so and provides information about your rights in respect of your personal data for which I am the data controller.
My responsible officer for data protection can be contacted on [email protected] or 0191 371 8834.
Data collection and use
- The office of Kevan Jones MP will only collect and use personal information for the specific purpose for which it has been obtained.
- I or my office will undertake casework using personal information provided by or on behalf of a constituent. It may be necessary for me or my office to share your information with third party organisations. I or my office will only do this where it is necessary and reasonable to do so, and we will share only the minimum amount of personal information necessary in order to advocate on your behalf. Please see the ‘who I share your information with’ section for further details.
- I may communicate by post, email, or phone about my work and to give you the latest news on my campaigns and opportunities to get involved. I have a legal entitlement to the full electoral register for my constituency, which includes the full name and address of every registered elector and I may write to you in connection with my activities as an MP.
- I will only send emails, or contact you by telephone where you have provided explicit consent for me to do so. You may withdraw your consent or unsubscribe at any time from communications in any medium by contacting my officer responsible for data protection.
- I will not use personal data for any automated decision making or profiling.
Who I share your information with
When I take up casework on your behalf, it may be necessary for me, or my office, to share the details you provide with Government departments, local authorities and other public bodies. I or my office will only share as much information as is necessary to take your case forward. Your details will be held on a casework management system that is GDPR-compliant. If you have any questions or concerns about how information you provide as part of a casework request is used, please contact my officer responsible for data protection for more information.
- Other than in the circumstances above, I or my office will not share personal information with other organisations without your explicit consent.
- In order to communicate with you about my work as the MP for North Durham, it may be necessary for me to transfer personal information to countries or jurisdictions outside the EU. In each case, I will take steps to ensure that the suppliers I use comply with the General Data Protection Regulation or are subject to the Privacy Shield scheme agreed between the European Union and the United States.
Retention of personal data
- I will keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes described in this policy. Information relating to casework will be retained for as long as it is necessary to resolve or otherwise complete your request, although I may retain information about closed cases in the event that you contact me again for help.
- If you have consented to receive information about my work, I will only retain your personal information so long as I am the MP for North Durham, or you ask not to be contacted further.
- I will regularly review the personal information I hold to ensure that its use is necessary and proportionate.
IP Addresses and Cookies
Links to other websites
- This website contains links to other websites. I am not responsible for the content or privacy practices of these websites.
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information and the opportunity to choose how it is used. You can:
- Obtain copies of the personal information I hold about you (known as a “subject access request”)
- Request that I correct or update any personal information held about you
- Ask that we erase or restrict the way in which I use your information
- Request that personal information you have given your consent for me to use is provided in an electronic format so it can be transferred to another data controller (also known as “data portability”)
- You may opt out of receiving further communications from me in any medium at any time. All requests to unsubscribe are dealt with promptly, and in all cases within a week.
If you wish to exercise your rights in respect of your personal data or have any concerns about how your data is used, please contact my officer responsible for data protection at:
Rt Hon Kevan Jones MP
The Fulforth Centre
Alternatively, you have right to raise any issues or concerns directly with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
This policy will be reviewed annually and the next date for review is 24 May 2019.